Thursday, September 18, 2008

quote-unquote

Ding Dong!!! I'm back, I'm back!! (ok, that was a pathetically desperate try at sounding enthu.. :| )
So folks, it's been quite a while..
Sadly, things weren't as rosy rosy as I thought it would be. :/ My one month long sickness vacation has gloriously extended to a couple of months. hmmph.
Though I'm very fine except for feeling a li'l weak. Good news is that I'm almost almost back on track. :)

Major vacation activity :Reading a lot.. as in really really reading.. you see.. to the extent that I've more or less become friends with the librarian at the British library here. :)
Achievement of the week: I finished my once-in-5years customary read of 'Gone with the wind' for the third time.
One of my dumb quirks.. I'm planning on doing that till the time I don't find the book that hooking anymore.

Ah, there I go.. the real post is actually supposed to be the tag that good blog friends Chris and Seema have honored me with.
yeah, it's the gud old 'quotes' tag.
yawning?? how rude! :{

This is what the tag is about: “Jot down 5 of your favorite quotes from the various books you’ve read. If you don’t have the books with you now, googling (Wikiquotes and the like) can be used to find them. Tag five people and acknowledge the person who tagged you.”

As I'm in the 'Gone with the wind' hangover, I had to seriously fight this very strong urge to put up 5 quotes from only that book. :/

So, there you go!!

1. From Gone with the wind
"Hunger gnawed at her empty stomach again and she said aloud: 'As God is my witness, and God is my witness, the Yankees aren't going to lick me. I'm going to live through this, and when it's over, I'm never going to be hungry again. No, nor any of my folks. If I have to steal or kill - as God is my witness, I'm never going to be hungry again."

-Lying weak from hunger in a vegetable garden at the burnt-out Twelve Oaks, Scarlett decides that not only is she going to survive, but she is going to prosper.

2. From Papillon
"Make the best of what we offer you, and you will suffer less than you deserve."

-Camp Commandant

3. From Bhagavad Gita
"The mind acts like an enemy for those who do not control it."


4. From To kill a mocking bird
"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view... Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it."

-Atticus Finch

5. From The Alchemist
"It's the possibility of having a dream come true that makes life interesting."


And I tag:
hmm.. tough one, since most of the folks have already done it, I guess..
1. Santosh - I'm expecting a consolidated bill at my doorstep anytime now, for all the tagging tortures. Still.. :)
2. Divkiran
3. Surya
4. Anoop
5. Reia

12 comments:

  1. YOu have mentioned 3 of my favourite books in the quote..esp was nice to see Papillon mentioned too..btw am trying hard to get hands on the movie version too which seems to be scarce...

    "It's the possibility of having a dream come true that makes life interesting." how true...thats what inspires most people..

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey, nice 2 see you back in action.. :-D papillion is a brilliant book, i love it... nice collection of quotes.. I already did this one.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. here goes the link to my take on ur tag... :)
    http://xhtheexperthand.blogspot.com/2008/08/thus-spoke-wise.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back. hope you are feeling better.. Great quotes. Loved the Papillon one :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome back :)You will get over your weakness soon.. that's what we are here na ;)
    And very nice collection of quotes :) Chris has tagged me too.. Haven't taken it up yet :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello ! Welcome back long lost lady :o)

    Very Good and Interesting tag; Me will surely do fatafat !

    Alchemist had one of my favorite quotes too ; however sadly i cannot remmeber it, nor could i find it online ! Will have to grab the copy from someone again !

    Cheers ~
    Santosh

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome back....

    "The mind acts like an enemy for those who do not control it."

    Thats my favorite...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I forgot to comment. Great quotes dear! And welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ah-ha! so, that's what "tagged" means! :-)) And wow, those are some pretty strong lines for the serious thinker!

    hey, thanks for waking me up once more, usha :-) Need to do a lot of catch-up on your blog too... had been away for long!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. @mathew: hey, I never got to see the movie yet.. but I guess I make conscious attempts in staying away from the movie adaptations of my favorite books.
    and yes, on that quote, plainly put, it's hope that drives the world, eh? :)

    @xh: ah, you too! :)

    @seema: another Papillon fan! same pinch! :)

    @dhanya: thankyous girl! :) you are always so kind..

    ReplyDelete
  11. @div: :) seems like the whole world's done with it, right? :) good ones you've put up there.

    @santosh: hey yeah, Alchemist surely has so many of them gud ones.. to be honest, I don't think I managed to put in my most favored line from it. I had to depend on the list available online for that! :| mebbe I need to read it again too.

    @cm-chap: yes, it is..
    wish finding the controller was that easy.. but then, it's something we learn to do over the time.

    @chris: dankies, dankies! :) It's good to be back.

    @reia: come back!! come back!! :) you are being missed at the blogosphere!

    ReplyDelete