Wednesday, April 30, 2008

The ubersexual Indian male has arrived! *drumrolls, please*

Yes, and yours truly just bumped into a handful of the species a few minutes back.
I'm yet to recover from the (not so pleasant) shock.

The venue was a Skin Care clinic organized at the workplace, setup by a Cosmetic Company, whose marketing folks definitely know how to push their products.

Initially, I did not want to go for it, as I was sure they're going to tell me some really awful things, and I'll have to go on another shopping spree to get over that.
Not happening! :|

But I just bumped into this lady who heads the HR team here.. and you know the HR folks.. To cut the story short, I ended up promising her, I'll go check that out!
Back at my desk, my cube mate pulled me along to the venue. The deal was a warm cup of coffee, which I so badly needed after that chat with the HR lady.

So what do we get to see when we reach there?
A waiting queue of 6 men.. yes, you heard it right! and not a single woman around!
We check with the girl at the registration counter outside.
'Are you sure this isn't the queue for booking those IPL tickets they were giving away??'
No, we are apparently at the right place.. Only, it doesn't feel like it!

6 guys in waiting. We meekly pull two chairs after theirs and wait for our turn.
Another person at the registration counter. Guy no.7 walks in, grabs a chair, squeezes it between ours and Guy 6 and nicely perches himself on it.. legs crossed and runs his fingers through his well gelled hair.. checks that the 4 strands of hair on his forehead is set well at 45 degree angle, alright.

ok, then there's someone else walking in.. we look out in anticipation.. another guy.. duh!
By now, my cube-mate n me sit there feeling.. well... quite out-of-place, to say the least..
Guy 8 sashays in, grabs the extra chair outside the checkup counter and carries it towards the end of the queue..
We tell ourselves.. 'Thank Goodness, for atleast he isn't the typical Indian ubersexual 'queue-jumping' man! and lo, he stops right there where Guy 7 is, places his chair there, out of the queue and lands himself on that. Eagerly ganging up with the rest of the boys and getting himself involved in the interesting conversation with his "oh really?"s and "yeah, exactly"s

I mean, where on Earth do you come across guys like this who love to be in a herd, sit together, share their concerns about blackheads, and talk about exfoliating creams and skin toners.. duh!
And we thought you were concerned only about Cars and the Stock Exchange and Cricket!

I tell my friend this doesn't seem anymore to be a good deal for a coffee..

I was already feeling giddy, and thought of excusing myself from there before the men start talking about threading their eyebrows and waxing their torsos!
I mean, of all the people, I never knew the nerdy looking techie guys are into all these, big time! u know!

Seriously people, we are ok with u as long as you have clean nails, wear washed clothes, know to eat your food without having it fly out through your teeth and yeah, use a deodorant.. that's quite something already, no?

Say what we might, we really do like gentlemen who hold the door for us (I cant believe I'm saying this.. As a Rebel-cum-Tomboy just out of school, I used to think it's a guys' way of degrading the girls!), or say 'ladies first' (in a nice way, you know.. not when you are going for your focal reviews /appraisals or awful things like that )

Back at my domain, I found myself discussing the misadventure with many a girl-friends.
Me: Hey girl.. you know what happened today...blah blah blah blah.. can you believe that??
Friend: oh yeah, guys these days are becoming like this re.. kya hoga humara! yahan pe bhi competition? hadd hoti he yaar..
Me: know what, S even asked Venugopalakrishnan Venkatachalapathy, what he's doing there?!
Friend: WHAT? that thair saadam guy, you are talking about?? he was there too?
Me: yes, re!
Friend: oh no, re!! I can't believe it!! and.. and what did he say?
Me: he said, 'Even we've got skin, you know!'
Friend: heh?
Me: hmmph..
Friend: hmm..

Coming to think of it.. I realise that there was something weird about the way we were viewing these guys.. rather scanning them from top to toe..
It's a familiar feel but in an eerie way.. Why, I know it! I've been at the receiving end of those piercing, disapproving looks many a times!
Around 2 decades back, when I used to turn up in a pair of jeans..
A decade and a half back, when I used to ride a scooterette to College.. and many more such incidents which used to get me these weird looks of 'just, what exactly is she trying to prove?'
It's the same look.Only, I am at the other side of the table now..

We used to call them MCPs then. And I'm wondering what are WE turning into, now? FCPs? :-/

11 comments:

  1. I guesh it musht be the shmart techie thing!
    A couple of months back they started salsa lessons at work, I went - because someone quite interesting wanted a partner *wink wink*
    But the man-dancing there was such a scare that it gave me nightmares for a whole week.
    I never went to the next week's class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol...recently my friends(happens to be north indian guys), were talking about waxing their torso and limbs...and they were remarking i looked like a bear! i retorted saying haven't you seen our south indian heroes.

    all said it does feel nice to get a facial and getting your face massaged...i can still feel the coolness of the sandalpaste on my face in that hot delhi summer...all for just Rs.40...dunno if that would qualify for ubersexual but yes, like you said we men are changing! :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol! I'm all for the new breed of metro-sexuals. Much better then scruffy ones with fungus growing all over their face. BUT there are some who over obsess. Ewck!

    Loved the 'parting shot' :D
    *Only, I am at the other side of the table now..* Hehe! I can SO relate!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh ! "Garnier SkinScan" - Complete advice for your skin ! Was this the one ?

    We have this in our office today !What a coincidence :-)

    I ll walk up there and take a sneek peek, We'll see if the drum rolls are more in my office or yours :-)

    I am just going to see of course :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @toothless: :)) i know many a men who dropped out of those salsa classes @ work in the first week.. and quite a few who said '500 rupye mein aisi patakhon ke saath naachne ka chance aur kahan milega!!' :P

    @jiby: yes, changing you are! :) and 3 cheers to that!
    n did you say facial for 40 rupees?? psst.. which is that place?? ;)

    @macadamia girl: yeah, u're so right! me too is all cheers for them.. but some of them really scare you by not just crossing into the territory, but coming way too far.. spooky, that is!

    @santhosh: bang on! hehe
    btw, i'd say, go try marofy that!
    u'll have fun if you like those yucky horror movies. They actually show you a close-up of all your blackheads, that you'll end up scrubbing the hell out of ur face for the next one week! tee hee

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Usha - We do need men like this around. :) It would be great fun , esp if they are gay too ;). We can have "heart to heart" talks with them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @anju: :D why, yes! I know this one at this place where I go to get my hair cut.. with his 'Hi Sweety's and 'OK dearie's.. makes it easier for us to discuss stuff, you know..

    but I still shudder at the thought of my male teammies talking like that! ewck!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like you, i too miss those good old days when men were chivalrous-tho we have only ourselves to blame screaming ourselves hoarse over equality- so why expect men to hold door open for u or sacrifice his seat for u in a bus?

    Like u, i too feel yukky when the male species haunt beauty parlours-but where is is written they shouldnt and we should?

    we are all trapped in stereoptyped notions.

    nice posts. i really enjoyed them. the hate one-a very sensitive one

    ReplyDelete
  9. @kochuthresiamma: you're right. we, as women, are trying to breakfree from the stereotyped notions of society towards us.. but at the same time, we dont want them men to breathe easy on their 'boys don't cry, boys don't dress up, boys dont talk tv serials' rules.

    thanks for visiting my blog and stopping by to comment. I'm glad you liked the posts!

    ReplyDelete
  10. ha ha ha.. the cominga round of circle.. :) man, thnx for teh words 'Seriously ... already, no?' :-D so thr r girls out thr who like ppl like us...
    i once treid getting a facial - was curious what a facial and had to experiecne it... and man, came away with a sunken heart - paying money for some one to blow heat on my face and put some stuff and scurb it.. argh.. a gillete shave will do teh same thingt o me... :P
    well, u forgot to include bikes and football in teh last..w e men love them too...

    ReplyDelete
  11. @xh: ah yes, the bikes and football! how could I have forgotten that!

    btw, girls too like bikes, specifically when there's a John Abraham perched on it, you see!! :)

    ReplyDelete